Saturday, February 5, 2011

Instant Carrot Pickle (With Oil)


I am a big fan of home made pickles. The more spicy and tasty the pickle the more happy I am. Growing up, I had a big aversion for Carrots. No matter what trick what my Mom tried, I refused to eat them. Mom found a quick fix for it. She made Instant Carrot Pickle and I today I find myself hooked to this tangy treat for a lifetime! The thing which attracted me most was the cutting style she used - Julienne. The thin matchstick strips of Carrot were a delight to bite and munch on as a kid! Pick Carrots which are firm, free of blemishes and sturdy - they are apt for pickling and have a better shelf life. This pickle takes very less cook time and is extremely tasty. The shelf life however is less than 3 days, so I make a small batch to avoid wastage.

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Processing time: 15 minutes (for marinade)

Ingredients:
Carrot (Julienned into strips) - 1 cup
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/3 teaspoon
Lime juice - 3 tablespoon
Asafoetida - 1/3 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil or Canola Oil
Salt

Method:
Wash the Carrots, peel off the skin and chop them into julienne cuts. Pat them dry and spread them on a clean cheesecloth to dry for 1/2 hour. Once the moisture is completely off, add salt, lime juice, turmeric powder and chilli powder in a mixing bowl and add the carrots. Give a good toss and keep aside for 15 minutes. Lime juice makes the carrot tender and nimble taking away the crunchy texture.
In a separate deep dish pan, heat few tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is hot enough (not smoky hot), add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. The mustard seeds would pop completely. Turn off the flame and allow the seasoning to cool completely. Once the seasoning cools off completely, gently crush the mustard seeds with a pestle and powder lightly. Pour this seasoning on the carrots and give a good stir. Store in a clean, sterilized glass jar and consume within 2-3 days. Preferably, refrigerate after use if staying in humid/ damp/ hot terrains.

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy... perfect for curd rice...
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a simple recipe, and my mouth waters just looking at that photo. I must try this soon as a side for simple dal rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kaarasaaram.com -
    Thanks. It indeed tastes fabulous!

    @ Nupur -
    Thanks and glad you liked it! Its an easy as breeze recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.